Sure! Here’s a detailed recipe for making Pav Bhaji at home:
Ingredients for Bhaji (Vegetable Curry):
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, finely chopped
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large capsicum (bell pepper), finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped (adjust to spice preference)
- 1 tablespoon pav bhaji masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to spice preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Ingredients for Pav (Bread Rolls):
- 8 pav (dinner rolls)
- 4 tablespoons butter
Instructions for Bhaji (Vegetable Curry):
- Boil and Mash the Potatoes:
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft and easily mashable. Once cooked, peel the potatoes and mash them using a potato masher or fork. Set aside.
- Cook the Vegetables:
- In a large pan or kadhai, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add minced garlic, grated ginger, and green chilies. Sauté for a minute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add finely chopped onions and cook until they turn translucent.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and the oil starts to separate.
- Add the chopped capsicum, cauliflower, and green peas. Mix well.
- Simmer and Mash:
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and pav bhaji masala. Mix everything thoroughly and cook for a few minutes.
- Now, add the mashed potatoes to the pan and mix them well with the vegetables.
- Using a potato masher, mash the vegetables and potatoes together, ensuring they are well combined.
- Add salt and lemon juice to taste. Adjust the spices and salt according to your preference.
- Add Butter and Simmer:
- Add butter to the bhaji and mix it in to enhance the flavor and richness.
- Let the bhaji simmer for a few more minutes until all the flavors blend together. You can also add a little water to adjust the consistency to your liking.
- Garnish the bhaji with fresh coriander leaves before serving.
Instructions for Pav (Bread Rolls):
- Butter the Pav:
- Slit the pav horizontally but not all the way through, creating an opening for stuffing.
- Heat a griddle or tawa and add butter to it.
- Place the pav on the tawa and toast them on both sides until they become slightly crisp and golden.
Serve Pav Bhaji:
Serve the hot and flavorful Pav Bhaji with buttered pav, sliced onions, and a lemon wedge on the side. Optionally, you can also serve some extra butter on top of the bhaji for a more indulgent experience. Enjoy this delightful street food at home with your family and friends!